Ku Ku KaChew

Welcome to the world of Ku! This was originally a food blog, but I am turning it into a general collection of my life experiences :)
If you're looking for my raw food blog, you can find it here: http://atlantarawks.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Learning the ways of the farm

My VPN has decided to be wonky at the farm, so let's see if I can write well enough to keep your attention without pictures! This post will not reflect my capabilities of written imagery, as it was meant to have pictures, so don’t look for my wordsmithing until the next post ;-)

05-22: Thursday
Ducks and hens produce 12-20 eggs a day! Hard to eat them so fast, so we give some as gifts to neighbors. Not enough to sell them, but too many for just us!

One of my projects is to help manage the Aquaponics area. I transplanted a bunch of basil into little cups with foam to float in water that flows in from huge fish tanks full of tilapia. The water has tons of nutrients and fertilizer from the fish waste. Cool sustainable system!

I had to go back to Shanghai to register with the police. This is protocol, nothing alarming, but it's definitely not well understood or known by travelers. Luckily everything went very smoothly and I didn't get fined for registering late; I was supposed to register within 24hrs of arriving in China!

Luckily Beat and Kevin had to go to Shanghai anyway because there was a Green Initiatives event that night. They invited me to tag along and I'm very glad that I did! Learned about some pretty interesting ideas. Afterwards we ate at a little hole-in-the-wall spot that had fantastic dumplings.

05-23: Friday
Went to the BioFach conference with Beat. It's an organic food conference and I was surprised at how large the organic presence is here! Lots of oils, baby milk formula (cuz of a big problem several years back), tea, mushrooms, etc. Even some hydroponics systems! Was really interesting to see, and free entry!

Lunch at a constantly busy restaurant, and for good reason! Delicious xiao long bao, some kind of Shanghainese baked bao, and cold noodles with caramelized green onions.

Came back to the farm and spent some time with little Diudiu. Huahua, the white pup, is super shy and will barely come near ppl. We'll work on that :-)

Bummed you can't see the pictures!! Not sure how to remedy this, so I will just try to write better :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment