Ku Ku KaChew

Welcome to the world of Ku! This was originally a food blog, but I am turning it into a general collection of my life experiences :)
If you're looking for my raw food blog, you can find it here: http://atlantarawks.blogspot.com

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Chiang Mai Cooking Class


I've been staying at Thailandwow hostel in the old city in Chiang Mai and I'm very pleased with it. The beds and bathrooms are clean and the hangout area up front is very relaxing. The guy at the desk, Khai, is great at booking excursions for cheap and making suggestions of where to go and things to do. I'm in a 4 bed room but currently there are only 2 total in my room and just a smattering of backpackers in other rooms. It's low season, which is great cuz there is availability and at only 180 baht per night ($5.60)!!

Had drunken noodles for lunch and lounged a bit before going to a cooking class! First we visited a market so that we could see what the different ingredients look like. Lots of new stuff! Then we went to the place where we could cook. There were only 4 of us so it was a nice intimate class. We each cooked 4 dishes and at the end were given a small cookbook so we could cook many more dishes at home. Many of the dishes have the same base ingredients so that's quite convenient! Here is what I made:
» Coconut chicken soup 
» Pad Thai 
» Sweet and sour vegetables
» Massaman curry

We were given a bonus dish of mango and sticky rice, but didn't actually cook it ourselves. Our instructor did, however, kindly show us the type of bamboo steamer that is used to cook sticky rice. It looks like an upside down sombrero! I now have a few new gadgets added to my kitchen wishlist ;-) Was a great class and I am super excited to cook you all so yummy Thai food when I return!! 



1 comment:

  1. Ahhh! You're so cute in that cooking class! Those dishes look amazing too! I went to a restaurant once that served the sticky rice in one of those steamer things you are talking about. I'm all glad you are having an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete