Ku Ku KaChew

Welcome to the world of Ku! This was originally a food blog, but I am turning it into a general collection of my life experiences :)
If you're looking for my raw food blog, you can find it here: http://atlantarawks.blogspot.com

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Hong Kong, day 1

After a slow morning, I headed to a dim sum restaurant recommended by my hostel concierge. Dim sum was my first priority of Hong Kong! The subway ticket cost me $5HKD ($0.65) for a one way ticket to Hong Kong Station just a couple stops away. There are lights blinking on the system maps on the trains so you know exactly which direction you're going, where you're headed, and which side the doors will open. The stations are enormous with many different levels! I even came across a free computer and Wi-Fi station in Central station. Most ads in the stations are on flat screens. Everything seems new. Tokyo must feel like this!

Dim sum at Tim Ho Wan, a bustling little restaurant in Hong Kong Station. I ordered 4 dishes:
» Steamed shrimp dumplings (ha gao)
» Poached seasonal vegetable (which was basically braised lettuce)
» Steamed rice rolls stuffed with shrimp and chives
» Baked bun with BBQ pork (char sieu bao)

The pork buns here were different from their traditional version. The bun was similar to its sweet pineapple cousin. The sweet and salty combination was definitely a pleaser, and is the most recommended dish at this restaurant.

Stopped at a convenience store to get floss and also snagged a Cadbury chocolate bar, inspired by the British boys I met in Vietnam. This chocolate bar had clinkers, raspberry chips, and marshmallows! No clue what clinkers are, and turns out the Brits don't know either! I noticed on the wrapper that it's from Australia and New Zealand, so any insight, Jaicherry? :-)

I was gonna wander around a bit but I wasn't feeling too chipper and decided to go back to the hostel to rest and catch up on my blog. I feel bad being holed up in my hostel, but I know if I don't rest then I won't get better. Luckily the view outside my bed is fabulous. I can even see a dance class right across from my window! So it's nice that I don't feel quite so disconnected. I had more than enough to eat at lunch so I'm skipping dinner and going to bed early tonight. Hoping to be feelin good in the morning! And now I'm all caught up, BAM!! :-D

3 comments:

  1. Looks like my kind of place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clinkers are Australian. They are a chocolate covered candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Australians have the best chocolate bars! Oh and Hong Kong reminds me of NYC..

    ReplyDelete