Ku Ku KaChew

Welcome to the world of Ku! This was originally a food blog, but I am turning it into a general collection of my life experiences :)
If you're looking for my raw food blog, you can find it here: http://atlantarawks.blogspot.com

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Day 2: TN and AR

We left Nashville at 9:30am and made it to Memphis at 1pm. Stopped once for gas and stretching. 


We were gonna get barbecue in Memphis for lunch, but found a Southern restaurant instead. I had the veggie plate (your selection of 4 "veggies) and I chose green beans, lima beans, mac n cheese, and coleslaw. Mama Ku had a cup of white bean soup that had some kick to it! Good food, but nothing that different from what I get in Georgia. Perhaps we will get barbecue around Arkansas mañana.

We walked around downtown Memphis after lunch to work our legs a bit and everyone was really friendly. There is a trolley line that goes through downtown which was quite quaint. We stumbled upon a protest demonstration that appeared to be for Immigrant and Refuge Rights. I believe a lot of homeless people are getting crap from the police despite that they have nowhere to go. For lunchtime in downtown Memphis, the place was a lot more deserted than we imagined it would be.

Overall, Tennessee was an interesting place. Nashville has a replica of the Parthenon and Memphis has a pyramid. Like what?? But hey, they are memorable landmarks so props to them! Upon looking up these landmarks, I learned that "The Pyramid Arena has not been regularly used as a sports venue since 2004. The facility is currently being converted into a Bass Pro Shops 'megastore'." Yes. Interesting indeed.

I had mentioned in an earlier post that we were going to bring an induction burner for meals, but we decided last minute not to bring it and we have been managing just fine. Tonight, we split a foot-long tuna sandwich from Subway and spent a whopping total of $7.


Car playlist:
John Mayer
Audiobook - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
Nickel Creek
Dixie Chicks

Our herbal tea selection, although we still haven't actually tried these yet!

Our modest but sufficient breakfast selection at the Econolodge

These spiral cinnamon rolls remind me of my childhood :)

Cool rocks along the drive

Jacob! This is for you!

Old barn

Hootie in my lap during the drive

Solar farm!

Pyramid in Memphis, TN

Mama Ku with her white bean soup and cornbread

Yours truly with a plate of veggies. Btdubs, how did mac n cheese ever get in the veggie category??

Check out this chair!! FASHION.

Trolley in Memphis, TN

Protest

Welcome to Arkansas!

Cheap gas!

Road work traffic

This older woman behind me was playin the drums on her steering wheel somethin serious while her younger passenger tried to ignore her :)

Beautiful sunset

Pretty. Look closely, there are birds all over the sky!

Just look at all those birds!!

I really loved the sky here. It was so flat during the drive, it was a really beautiful sunset. 

FISH. CHINESE FOOD. This sign just made us laugh. This is how Little Rock does things!



I'm super excited about hiking around Ozark National Forest tomorrow!! Waterfalls, here we come :)

3 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! "Fish, Chinese food" reminds me of Brooklyn, lol. That chair is so chic, I need to get one for my office! ;) I'm so happy Hootie is enjoying himself. How is the weather? Super cold? Comfortable? I look forward to the next post! Oh, and yay for audio books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too cold yet, similar to Atlanta: highs in the 50s, lows in the 30s. This audiobook is making Mama Ku depressed about our food system hah. But we have Tina Fey's Bossy Pants for comic relief! :-P

      Delete
    2. Looks like smooth sailin' for you guys so far. I too, love that chair! I'm also mad jealous of those gas prices, I pay 2.95 (in Euros) for a puny liter! I'm also jealous of a good Southern veggie plates- perhaps the only thing better than a meat-and-three is four! ;-) Drive safe!

      Delete